The Lifeline program is a government assistance program that helps low income consumers save money on their bills for landline or wireless phone service. Lifeline provides up to a $9.25 monthly discount on service for eligible low-income subscribers and up to $34.25 per month for those on Tribal lands. Qualifying information for these government programs can be obtained by calling the Lifeline Program administrator at “Universal Service Administrative Company” (USAC) at (888) 641-8722 or at www.lifelinesupport.org.
In Louisiana, consumers can qualify for the Lifeline program based on the following eligibility criteria:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance
- Tribal-specific programs: Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance, Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF), Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR), Head Start
- Income at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
- Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit Programs
Rules & Requirements:
- Nontransferable: A participant in the Lifeline program cannot transfer their eligibility in the program to another person or household.
- Only Eligible Consumers May Enroll: The Lifeline program is available to qualifying low income customers. It is the Customer’s responsibility to provide proof of eligibility and to request participation in the Lifeline Program and must notify the provider no later than 30 days anytime eligibility changes. Subscribers must recertify their eligibility every year. Subscribers who fail to recertify their eligibility will be de-enrolled from the Lifeline program.
One Discount Per Household: The discount can be applied to either broadband, landline or wireless phone services.
The discount CANNOT be applied to both landline and wireless phone services. Only one Lifeline discount is available
per household. “Household” is defined as any individual or group of individuals who live together at the same
ORSubscribers may receive a Lifeline discount on either a wireline or a wireless phone service, but they may not receive a discount on both services at the same time. Lifeline also supports broadband Internet service and broadband-phone bundles. FCC rules prohibit more than one Lifeline service per household.
REACH4 provides a Lifeline discount on landline phone or Internet in certain areas of Acadia Parish. Call 337-783-3436 for availability at your specific location.